Irrespective of the fact whether you own a degree in furniture design or manufacturing you can have your own successful custom design furniture business as long as you have the eye for what customers want. More and more people are becoming bored of the mass-produced and uninspired furniture and are looking for exquisite furniture pieces made by one’s own hand, implying that there is no better time to start up your own furniture brand and bring to the market beautiful, inspired, and made with passion exclusive furniture.
Growth in the furniture market is rising due to an increase in demand from the domestic sector and of the varied unique designs. The furniture industry is growing and is expected to grow until 2020 at a CAGR of 4%. Customers with modest incomes are expected to make half of the metro population by 2020 making them the fastest-growing segment in the housing market and implying a continuous growth in furniture demand. The international trade of furniture amounted to US$ 129 billion in 2016 and is expected to be similar in 2017-2018. And China and USA are the leading countries in terms of market share.
This article right here will throw light not only on how one can start his/her own furniture business but will also provide important tips on how to manage the business to make it profitable. But I would recommend you to have a look at our article How to Start a Business with this article where we have explained the right sequence of doing business. We have also mentioned about raising initial funds, team building, etc.
Now below are the two aspects of doing furniture business:
- Furniture Manufacturing Business
- Furniture Selling/Trading Business (Online and Offline)
Table of Content
- Furniture Manufacturing Business
- Knowing Your Niche
- Design Inspiration
- Required Raw Material
- Classification Of Material
- Manufacturing Process
- Tools and Machine List
- Furniture Selling Business
- Expense Forcast
- Offline Expense
- Online Expense
- Choosing a Location
- Online Store
- Expense Forcast
Now let us discuss our first type of furniture business
Furniture Manufacturing Business
Considering the data from the 70 countries with 5 billion inhabitants accounting for 75% of the world population, the total worth of furniture amounted to US$ 406 billion in 2015, an estimate by CSIL. In 2016 more than half of world furniture production took place in Asia and the Pacific area. Furniture manufacture is a highly labor-intensive industry employing millions of people across the globe. If you are planning to start the furniture manufacturing business you should consider 15-25lakh as your minimum budget otherwise you might face crises very soon.
Now let us discuss the steps involved in the furniture manufacturing business
Knowing Your Niche
It is probably the most important thing to do before starting any business and it includes first to decide the kind of furniture you wish to create for example office, domestic or home furniture or luxury items. The next thing to do will be to undertake market research to understand your target audience, the demand for it, and the geographical areas you wish to cater i.e. locally or a broader market. A competitive analysis involving knowing your competitors, product prices, and characteristics that will set your furniture stand out in the market is a must. Another aspect is customization, decide if you will allow customization for your products. Develop a business name, logo, and slogan.
- The business name must give an idea of your product line.
- The slogan should embody the ethos of your work. Let it be short and catchy.
- The logo should not be messy and as neat and classy as possible. Hire a graphic designer to help you with this.
- Publish a catalog with the product images and price details.
A well-executed theme or a concept can result in a timeless piece of furniture. Creating vivid, multi-functional, and space-saving furniture is a trend followed by modern furniture designers. On the other hand, Indian style furniture is making use of solid wood furniture with an authentic look of incredible Indian craftsmanship, curved arm sets, and inlay work in metal or ivory. With so many varied styles of furniture, it is hard to conclude the type of style that suits you best. Listed here are some categorizations, as a pair which are often confused with each other, that can help you broadly understand the different types.
- Traditional VS Rustic- Traditional furniture is formal furniture, artistic, graceful belonging to the Queen period. Rustic furniture has a homely appearance.
- Art Deco VS Retro- Former is characterized by geometric and angular shapes. Retro reminds you of the recent past.
- Shabby Chic VS French Provincial- Shabby chic has a casual and distressed look with a feminine feel.
- Modern VS Contemporary- Modern furniture originated in the 1900s and creates sleek and stylish interiors. Contemporary is the one used most commonly today.
It is important to have exclusive designs either according to the customer’s wants or according to one’s own preferences as a furniture designer. Keeping up with the modern-day designs and customizing according to the customers or having an exquisite design collection is a choice one has to make.
Another aspect of having a successful business is to patent the designs. Patenting your creation is something that most of us don’t think about at first. The truth is over 2 to 3 centuries hundreds of thousands of designs have been created and there is a 90% chance that most designs will resemble those designs or some aspects of it. Creating a twist and market appreciation doesn’t protect your design from being copied. Having a patent will protect the form, procedure, and the design itself. It is hard to get a patent and hence it is advised to strongly advertise your product to inform the customers about the original creator by building strong brand goodwill and identity.
Required Raw Materials
The most obvious choice is wood, and why, because it is the most versatile, renewable, and sustainable resource. It is strong, durable and usually, one lengthy plank of wood can create one piece of furniture. Each wood has different characteristics adding a different degree of warmth and elegance to the ambiance. It is machinable and can be fabricated to fit any shape and size. Traditionally wood is classified into two kinds – hard and soft.
(1) Hardwood – comes from broad-leaved deciduous trees that drop leaves yearly and produce seeds. Such trees are slow-growing which tends to produce dense wood. Hardwoods are darker in color and have good resistance to fire. Types of hardwood – Cherry, Chestnut, Lime, Mahogany, Maple, Oak, Rosewood, Teak, Walnut.
(2) Softwood – comes from coniferous trees that have needles and do not produce seeds but are not weaker than hardwoods. Softwoods are generally less expensive than hardwoods because coniferous trees grow fast. When compared with hardwoods, softwoods are less dense and have poor resistance to fire. Types of softwood – Cedar, Fir, Pine, Redwood, Hemlock, Spruce.
Besides the above-mentioned categorization wood can also be classified as engineered/manufactured or man-made woods and solid woods. Implying that both hardwood and softwood can belong to the below mentioned categories. Though both of them offer a similar look, the difference lies in the structural composition.
Modern Day Classification
(1) Manufactured wood – manufactured from three or more layers of high-density fiberboard (HDF) or medium-density fiberboard (MDF) and an original hardwood veneer(facing layer of wood) top layer joined together under pressure and heat. A thin coating of melamine is done to protect the surface and prevent scratching, staining, or burning of the wood. It is relatively cheaper and lighter making it affordable and easier to ship. Engineered wood is more suitable for high moisture areas and areas with frequent temperature changes. It does not warp or cup during climatic changes.
Few disadvantages are (i) difficult to repair (ii) does not hold screws well (iii) contains many chemicals (iv) can swell when exposed to water. Types of manufactured wood – Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL), Oriented Strand Board, Hardboard (HDF), AC Plywood, CDX plywood,
(2) Solid wood – Furniture made from a single piece of wood, has greater strength and is quite durable lasting for several decades. It stands up to machining and modification like sawing legs down etc. Solid wood furniture might be costlier than the rest, however, damages are easily repaired and are the most eco-friendly. Types of solid wood:
(i) solid wood – hardwood: Oak, Ash, Walnut, Cherry, Maple
(ii) solid wood – softwood: Pine, Poplar, Fir
(3) Particle Board – is made out of large wood chips, sawmill shavings or sawdust adhered together with glue and chemicals. Lighter and less sturdy than MDF and is mostly covered with not-real-wood. Advantages are that it is cheap, does not warp, expand or contract until the laminate finish is intact. Does not dent easily unlike softwood pine and can be painted. However, there are disadvantages of using particle board like it may fall apart when drilled or sawed. the exposed particle starts to crumble and on absorbing water expands and is no longer repairable. Particleboard furniture lasts up to 3-5 years.
Other than wood following materials are also used to make furniture.
(1) Steel/ Metal – Metal furniture is easy to clean and tolerates pest fighting chemicals better than wood. It is best for any sort of living environment dormitory or housing. It is highly durable and can withstand heavy usage. Metal furniture can last for 10-15 years. up-front investment is higher but the replacement cycle is less frequent.
(2) Plastic – Since its invention in 1862 in London plastic and because of its extraordinary ability to mold into any form it has increasingly become the most popular material to make bespoke furniture. Plastic furniture is lightweight and unbreakable. The maintenance cost is negligible and does not wear down in extreme weather conditions. Basic raw material required is polyethylene terephthalate which is thermoplastic and can be recycled easily.
(3) Glass – Glass is usable for furniture when it is toughened, also known as toughened glass, which is done by heating and rapidly cooling with cold air causing the outer surfaces solidifying before the interior inducing permanent compressive stresses into the surfaces of the glass which makes it suitable for furniture as it then can be curved and bent. Annealed glass is not suitable to be used for furniture making because it’s breakable. The third type is Laminated glass which consists of two or more layers permanently bonded together by interlayers of transparent plastic.
The manufacturing process has several stages as discussed below:
(1) Hewing and Sawmilling: – Obtaining a log of wood as a result of chopping or cutting. Logs are sorted and stored according to different sizes. One needs to figure out the transportation of logs, storage area, power supply to sawmill units, and handling equipment like front end loaders, and overhead cranes. The Longest possible straight length of required measurement is cut with minimum waste.
(2) Kiln Drying: The process of keeping sawn timber/lumber into kilns where heated air is circulated and the temperature is maintained to achieve an optimum level of moisture. Done to dry green lumber/ timber. This can take up to 4-6 weeks and causes the timber to shrink up to 7-15 % depending on the thickness.
(3) Splitting and Cutting: The wood is split and cut into the required size using the cutter saw and SERCLE machine.
(4) Planning and Drilling: Planning is done using a plane machine to achieve a smooth wood surface without line saw. Drilling is the process of making blind and through holes to join the furniture. Drilling machines are called drill press. Machines used for this are the tenoning machine and mortizer machine.
(5) Sanding: Done to refine the furniture. this job is mostly done by hand and can be time-consuming. Machines like orbital finishing sanders, portable belt sanders, random-orbit sanders can be used to achieve the finesse. The grade, or grit, of sandpaper, is based on the number of sand granules per square inch of paper. The higher the number, the finer the grade.
(6) Assembling and Finishing: Assembling different components into finished products. Commonly it is done before finishing to avoid any scratches later. The final step involves layering the wood surface to make it look beautiful and protect from insect harm.
(7) Molding: There are a number of ways and mostly all of them involve metal molds carved into the desired shape. Three different types of molding are : (i) Rotational (ii) Injection (iii) Gas Assisted Injection molding. The basic machinery required to make plastic furniture is the injection molding machine.
Tools and Machine List
I am mentioning a few machines and tools which are very important for any kind of furniture business. Though these tools are not enough you will require a lot more depending on what quality you are producing and in which furniture niche you are working
- Circular saw
- Hand saws, a router, and two router bits.
- Chain Saw
- A power drill
- Chisels and a wooden mallet
- Hammer and some screwdrivers
- Band Saw
- Double Side Planner
- Timber Sizer
- Radial Arm Saw
- Spindle Moulder
Once the furniture gets manufactured you can sell your furniture in two ways i.e B2B and B2C. One can either can sell it directly to consumers or you can make B2B relations for this purpose. For the B2B model, one needs to contact the shop owners and online dealers. For B2C one needs to have a plan, budget, and a good team which we are going to discuss in our next step i.e furniture selling business.
Furniture Selling / Trading Business
Two broad ways of furniture trading are (i) Selling Offline – having a store (ii) Selling Online – trading only through the website. Besides this Deciding Niche and Innovation in Design is also important in the furniture selling business which I have mentioned above in Furniture Manufacturing Business, please have a look from there.
Now let’s discuss the steps involved in the furniture selling business
A crucial step to make your business successful is to accurately budget the company. A precise list of expenses not only helps in estimating the fixed costs and operational costs but also provides an idea of expected profit and makes it easier to communicate with banks and investor to get loans and capital. the list below includes most of the expenses, but not all, that shall be incurred:
Expense involved in selling through Furniture Store
On a rough estimate, you will require 15-25lakhs in the following areas
- Expenses incurred to structure your business which might involve fees or other charges for hiring an advisor.
- The cost to obtain a license and other permits from governments.
- Store rent or purchase payment of the store.
- Purchase payment for equipment.
- Purchase payment for inventory, ready-made pieces or raw materials like wood, glass, etc.
- Marketing and advertising expenses.
- Staff salaries and bonuses.
- Cost of running the store like water and electricity bill.
- Cost of maintaining the website.
Expense Involved in Online Furniture Selling
On a rough estimate, you will require 40-50lakhs on initial level unless you are selling some unique products which are only available to you. In that case, you can do this business in 10-15lakhs only.
- Quality Management
- Staff Salary
Choosing a Location
It’s not an easy task to choose a perfect location, consider a space that fits the needs of the customers. If you plan to do cabinets look for a large space for a better display, while catering residential clients a space that accommodates parents, children and strollers are recommended. It is highly suggested to choose a place that is easily accessible to your suppliers, space where your suppliers can easily reach and drop off the materials required. Do not fall for a lower rent but for an efficient useful space keeping in mind all the above said things. Listed are some important things to be kept in mind:
- Advertising using neat billboards informing people about the store location.
- Offer unique accessories complementing the furniture.
- Frequent and new addition in the stock to keep the customer coming back.
- Personalized attention and specialized service for the walk-in customer.
- Well trained sales team, one which knows all about the product and prices, discounts & offers and promotes the product and the brand with confidence.
- Build a relationship of trust and loyalty with the customer by offering high-quality customer service
Choosing to sell online would still require you to have a warehouse to keep your inventory and stock. Space efficient and big enough to store the products without causing any damage. Selling online implies having a brilliant website that allows the customer to choose the quantity, size, delivery date, a ‘send as a gift’ option, and the payment gateway. Listed are few things to be kept in mind:
1). Establishing long term relationships with wholesale sellers. Building a populated stock is a key step buying in bulk from wholesale sellers lets you enjoy a good profit margin.
2). Boost your online store by including a shopping cart solution on the website. Allowing the customers to choose the color, size, zoom in option, high-quality HD pictures, a swift check out are all drivers of a successful website.
3). Associate with trusted names that deliver your products without causing any damage. Make agreements only with good brands so that a delivery does not cost you your reputation.
4). Get your name out in the market using all sorts of online advertising platforms ranging from social media to SEO.
5). Delivery is the last point of contact with the customer, make sure it to be an impactful one. Confirm the date and time of delivery with the customer and have a polite and presentable staff.
6). The website should tell your story, company’s history, mission, vision and goals to engage the customers thoroughly in your brand.
When selling through secondary sellers like Amazon, eBay, OLX or Overstock don’t forget to mention the link to your business website.
I like this business….
Then start doing this business and if you face any problem then you can contact us for guidance.
Hi, i have started a business for manufacturing furniture and its been almost 8 months now, the trouble i am having is how to manage the production in a way that it is cost effective , and how to go about for it in the market.
we are currently working on project basis, but we would like to shift to our own designs .
First of all congratulations for starting your own business because you are already ahead of who only wish to start.
Now cost-effectiveness is dependent on many things and can be done in many ways.
Now a few ways are
1. Increase the sales so that bulk production become cheap
2. Reduce Quality
3. Change Production Technique
4. You can even increase the selling price, ultimately it is about profit.
Now to find the best-suited way for you I should know
1. Your Target Market
2. Your Way of looking business
3. Type of Furniture
and a few other things.
If possible connect me personally so that we can discuss and I can let you know the best-suited way.
You can connect us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I have to start business furniture and interior items supply, selling items etc from manufacturers or (wholesaler) to local small retailers. for extol. I purchased items from Calcutta and selling in Maharashtra.
In which sectors you want my help?
Branding, sales, connections, entrepreneurial mentoring or something different?
You can even contact me on email@example.com for personal assistance.
Furniture demanded at any time such as marriage time, new baby born time, sleeping time, eating time and also sitting time. You share your idea on it.
i m carpenter in Bhopal(m.p.)
i have a plot (5600sqft) . actually i want start furniture business . but problem is what i do?
mean making furniture , or sale raedymade furniture .
would you tell me what i do ?
Ask yourself what you can do for more than 10 years without getting bored with the same passion and aggression.
Both businesses are good, both have a great future but both require a different set of skills so it is completely your choice. I cannot help in choosing but once you choose it, I can certainly help in growing it.
Don’t forget that the most important quality a businessman should be an expert of is “Taking Decision”.
I want to open a readymade furniture showroom can you give me some tips
Don’t treat the non-buying customer with less importance.
When people will observe that you treat everyone equally, they will treat you as a brand and will start buying from you. You can connect with priests also to know who is getting married and contact that family to showcase your furniture.
What kind of licenses is required for this business…?
If you are starting a business in India then you can read this
Sir I have to start my own furniture manufacturing business in Punjab.
So how can I help you?
I have to start business regarding steel furniture, maharaja paddle swing (jhoola), wrought iron furniture manufacturing, retail, and wholesale unit at Nashik (Maharashtra). I have already purchased all necessary machines for production and shed
Please guide me.
In which sector you want my guidance? Like in sales, marketing, pricing, or in some other department? Please be specific regarding your query because there is a lot in every business and it is not feasible to explain each thing in a comment.
Your research is just amazing and is very much helpful.
Actually, my concern is that My father has a workshop wherein he is working on a contractual basis. The business is not that fruitful to him at this point of time. So I want to step into this business and wants to kick-start it again. Any suggestions you would like to give me in regards to make this business a fruitful one.
Thanking you in anticipation
Hi Atul, if your father is working from a long period of time and still not doing great then there can be few mistakes and you have to identify them and have to improve in those areas.
1. He hasn’t pictured the perfect customer/ client for his business.
2. Hasn’t studied market potential
3. Problem in marketing or pricing.
As I haven’t have the exact details of your business so I can only say focus on “How your product is providing value to the customers?”
Ask this question to yourself every day, soon you will be a great businessman
I am from Maharashtra and I am about to start a furniture manufacturing business on small scale initially with a budget of 2 to 3 lacks.
We have studied and analyzed market space, target area, raw material cost, and designing etc. but I am still worried about my budget.
Can please help me with financial management?
Mail me with your exact doubts. I will reply
Sir, I just want to know that would it be possible to start furniture making/ manufacturing business at small scale with the budget of max 5 lac and min 3 lacks?
I want to start this business but I have zero experience and don’t know how to start, where to buy equipment and all.
I want to start my manufacturing and sales business. I have a furniture shop but want to upgrade to ready-made furniture’s as well. So can you suggest me with that?
Current information is not enough to suggest you properly. Email me complete detail, will guide you.
Hi Lokesh sir, I am Suresh Kothari, I am a government furniture supplier. Now I want to start office furniture manufacturing.
So please guide.
You can do it in two ways; one by selling directly to companies, second by keeping resellers in between. Both ways are great and have their own pros and cons.
After that, you need to focus on sales and value creation.
PS- Find companies which are shifting their offices, contact startups which recently raised funding.
For more details about creating your business, you can also check my course. Here is the link
It was a lovely article and really helpful to create a checklist.
I’m planning to start a furniture and home decor studio. I want it to have niche designs and Nordic styles. As well as styles based on functionality and art.
My main worry is how do I set up a manufacturing unit and most importantly find the right kind of craftsmen who would understand my design language.
Please help as I am really stuck.
You need to take care of few things:
1. A person has the required skills (Give them a task to complete in front of you with limited time)
2. Motivation to join and to work with you (Show him that you are not hiring him, instead you are building a team to achieve something great)
3. Salary (This has no alternative, you need to pay them what they deserve)
For more on running a successful business, you can check this
Nice blog!! The content you have shared is very elaborative and informative. Thanks a lot for sharing such a great piece of knowledge with us.
Glad you find it helpful 🙂
I want an experienced manufacturer for my shop. Please contact me
First of all thanks a lot for sharing such a wonderful article.
My question is-
I am planning to sell my own customized wood products online. Do I need a physical location like an office before selling the products on my website? What are the registrations required if I wish to work from home, like having a wooden workshop within my house?
1. You do not need any offline (brick and mortar) store.
2. You can choose any kind of registration depending on your vision. You can check details here
3. You can start your work from home, there is no problem in that provided you are able to work properly. As you grow big, you can take your workshop.
To know more on running a successful business you can check my course. Here is the link
I am excited to start my carrier in the manufacturing line, and I think about it a lot. I want to make new things or introduce new designs with innovative ideas to manufacture something with unique designs at reasonable prices. My motive is not to earn money but want to produce new designs and products at a reasonable price so that every consumer can purchase our products and motive is to satisfy them.
What should I do for it? I have many ideas but unable to implement, suggest me, sir, maybe your suggestion will change my whole life.
I will be awaiting your revert sir
You have asked the same thing over email; please check your email, I have already reverted there.
I want to start a small business in wooden furniture, like MDF, practical board computer table, and other kinds of folding/portable tables. So, which kind of setup do we require and which kind of machinery is required? Also, from where we get chips and the best machines? I hope, you can understand I am new and want to start the furniture business. I am willing to export outside of the country.
Waiting for your kind and quality suggestions. Thanks in advance!
I already have a running interior works firm & a manufacturing unit with machinery. It was inherited to me. I need to train my workers to become modern because they are still doing the works in an old-fashioned way, which in turn has good quality products but poor on design & profits. I need to train the workers & expand my markets. Also, I would like to do a market study. How can I achieve this?
Sir, I want to start a ready-made furniture business in Bihar. Ready-made furniture coming from Punjab, so I want to know about location , and amount to start the business. please help me.
Hello sir, I want to start a furniture manufacturing unit in WOOD and MDF. But I don’t know from where to start and what will be the estimated investment to start so that I can convince my dad to start manufacturing furniture. We are already in the timber business but want to expand more, so I was thinking to convince my dad and start this business.